Facebook Age Restrictions
- Parents of 13-14 year olds report that, on average, their child joined Facebook at age 12
- 55% of parents of 12 year olds report their child has a Facebook account, and most 82% of these parents knew when their child signed up. 76% also assisted their 12 year old in creating the account.
- 36% of all parents surveyed reported that their child joined Facebook before the age of 13, and 68% helped their child create the account
- 53% of parents surveyed think Facebook has a minimum age and 35% of these parents think that this is a recommendation and not a requirement
- 78% parents think it is acceptable for their child to violate minimum age restrictions on online services
When I hosted one of my Introduction to Social Media Seminar for parents, I mentioned how the 13 year age limit was based on US federal law they were shocked – they were under the impression it was recommendation, not requirement. I write this article in the hopes that I can help inform parents that it is not acceptable for their children to create Facebook accounts until they are over the age of 13.
http://www.digitopoly.org/2011/11/21/the-facebook-parents-dilemma-coppa-and-my-daughter-turn-13/ http://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3850/3075 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children’s_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act http://www.alrc.gov.au/publications/69.%20Particular%20Privacy%20Issues%20Affecting%20Children%20and%20Young%20People/online-consumers-and-
About Kim Maslin
I am a cybersafety educator, passionate about helping everyone better understand the digital world. I have grown up in a world of laptops and instant messaging, and believe digital technologies provide a wonderful opportunity for people to express themselves, communicate and learn. Keep Learning.